1. List 10 words from the story which are connected with furniture.
2. Find one word in the story which means the same as:
a. a woman whose husband has died
b. a member or supporter of the conservative party
c. a talk on a religious or moral subject
d. a person who makes things from wood
Where (country, county, city) and when (general time period, season) does this
story take place?
1. Why did Mr Boggis disguise himself in the uniform of a clergyman?
2. What methods did Mr Boggis use to get into people’s homes?
3. How did Rummins, Claud and Bert behave when they saw Mr Boggis? Why?
4. Why did Mr Boggis say that he was only interested in the legs?
5. Why did Rummins, Claud and Bert saw off the legs of the chest of drawers?
Write a dialogue that could have taken place between the parson and the farmers once he learnt what they had done to the commode. (10 exchanges)